Before starting any thing I would like to introduce the super-hidden attribute of a folder/file. It is other wise known as system attribute. This means you can not view these files/folders in normal mode even if you enable the option to view hidden files/folders.
You can view these files/folders by un-checking the box “hide protected operating system files” which is not recommended by Microsoft and then selecting the radio button against “show hidden files and folders” as shown in the figure left side. You can find these options by following the path My computer -> go to any drive let c:\ -> Tools -> Folder Option
1. Protect Your Private Folder/Files
Make your own folder with protected/system/super-hidden attribute and keep your files securely from un-wanted visitors.
You can do this by following steps.
- Create New Folder with desired name e.g “praty”.
- Go to command prompt.
- Then type ( I have assumed that the folder “praty” is created in D:\) “attrib +s +h D:\praty“
- That’s all. Your secret folder with super-hidden attributes is created. Keep your secret files and folders within it.
2. Security From Virus Attack
You can secure your computer from pen-drive virus by properly applying this concept.
- Whenever you insert your pen-drive into your computer/laptop don’t access it right that time.
- First Go to command prompt and navigate to your pen-drive.
- Type “dir /a” without double quotes. It will show you all the files and folders present in that directory i.e your pen-drive root directory. If your pen-drive is infected with any type of virus most probably you will find a file named “autorun.inf” in the root directory of your pen-drive. So when you typed and hit enter you will find a file named “autorun.inf” in the list of files and folder.
- Then type autorun.inf and hit enter. It will open the file in notepad. It is the script to execute/inject the virus into your computer. If you find any suspicious commands or unknown file names like “open=myfolder/myfile.exe” then most probably these are virus locations. The open command above is nothing but actually present in the autorun file located in my virus infected pen-drive. In the above command “myfolder” was the super-hidden folder which contained the virus file “myfile.exe”
- If you want to disinfect your pen-drive manually then delete the “autorun.inf” in command mode or replace with a fake file named “autorun.inf”. Then delete the virus file. One point to be marked here is I have told to first deal with the autorun.inf file then the virus file. It is because if things go wrong by any means then some problem may arise. So first we will cut the link to the virus file and the “autorun.inf” file is nothing but the link.
There are some rumor that Bill Gates once delivered in his speech to high school children. Whatever, may it rumor or true but they are certainly true. These are
- “Life is not fair – get used to it.”
- “The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.”
- “You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won’t be a vice president with car phone, until you earn both.”
- “If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn’t have tenure.”
- “If you mess up, it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t whine about your mistakes, learn from them.”
- “Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent’s generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.”
- “Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life may not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.”
- “Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.”
- “Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.”
- “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.”